I need an explanation for this Philosophy question to help me study.
- In your post, draw on one of the following readings: 1) Bentham, 2) Kant, 3) Singer, or 4) O’Neill.
- The general topic is the ethical issues of famine and world poverty.
- I have provided a prompt below, but you may create your own alternative question.
- If you create an alternative question, be sure to present your question in your post and explain how it relates to one of the above readings.
- If you use the prompt, you do not need to answer all of the questions below. In fact, it’s a good idea to focus on one or maybe two of the questions.
- Only write on one philosopher for your discussion post.
Writing Prompt: Starving and Impoverished People
- Which ethical principle should be used to understand and deal with the issues of famine and poverty?
- Does utilitarianism or deontology provide a better normative framework for dealing with the issues of famine and poverty?
- Is there something special about citizens of one’s own country that gives people more of an obligation to prevent poverty in their home country rather than abroad?
- What do you think is the best response to Singer’s seemingly “radical” conclusion about how we should change our way of life?
- Is there any reason to think that the Kantian duty of beneficence doesn’t extend to people who are suffering from famine in other countries?
- See the Discussion Post Guidelines for general info on the assignment and example posts:
- The most important requirements are:
- write at least a 300 word original post,
- quote and cite from one of the above course readings (in your original post),
- use paragraphs in your original post,
- write at least a 200 word response post.
Also Worth Noting
- You must post before seeing other people’s posts. As a result, you will not be able to edit any posts. (This ensures that you do not submit an empty or extremely short post in order to then copy other people’s work.)
- If you see something you would like to change or add to your original post, then submit a second post. This will not penalize you, so long as your original post fulfilled the basic assignment requirements.
- If you submit an empty or extremely short post, then you will be penalized.
- It’s a good idea to first type your post in a word or google document to prevent accidental submissions.