· Assignment Instructions
For this assignment, consider the following scenario:
You are an entrepreneur, who, three years ago, began a graphic arts business specifically geared toward not-for-profit entities and Internet Web page design. Your business steadily grew. You are approached by a major not-for-profit agency looking for a graphic designer. You are currently working at your full workload capacity, putting in 60–80 hours a week. Your spouse has threatened divorce if you do not get help with the existing workload. Accepting the new client would be very positive for the business, but would mean adding an employee. You have run an advertisement and contacted employment agencies without any luck in locating a good candidate for the position.
Your sister-in-law is somewhat qualified (having completed all but two courses for a degree), will work inexpensively, and is eager for income, due to unanticipated medical expenses incurred in the three-month premature births of her twin boys last year. One of the twins is doing fine; the other is sick and frequently needs medical care. Desperate, you tell the sister-in-law on a Wednesday that she can start on Monday.
On Thursday, over celebratory drinks, a friend of your spouse recommends another friend, who would be well-suited to the position. You mention that you have already filled the position, and have told your sister-in-law she would start on Monday. Your spouse’s friend begs you to give this person a chance, so you relent and meet the individual on Friday. The individual is indeed a perfect match for what you need.
Write a 4–5 page paper addressing this ethical dilemma. Describe what your options are in resolving this scenario and determine what you would do. Frame the ethical considerations in terms of the company, the client, the individuals involved, and the entrepreneur. Support your decision based on ethical theory and industry practices.
Your paper should follow a logical structure and be evidence based. Use the MEAL Plan structure (see Resources) to help guide the organization of your paper.
· Main ideas: Present the main points or ideas that you are making in this paper.
· Evidence: Give us a reason to believe you. Support your reasons with evidence. Acknowledge other view points and respond to them (Booth, Colomb, & Williams, 2009).
· Analysis: Identify the component parts of the articles cited. Identify patterns or themes in the articles reviewed. Use data and information from others to support your main points and ideas.
· Link: Synthesize what you have learned. Integrate and combine ideas from your source articles into a new whole containing your own ideas.
Conduct independent research for resources and references to support your paper. Provide a reference list and in-text citations for all of your resources, in APA format. You may use your course materials as supporting resources.
Booth, W. C., Colomb, G. G., & Williams, J. M. (2009). Craft of research (3rd ed.). Chicago, IL: University of Chicago Press.
Assignment Formatting Guidelines
Format your paper as follows:
· References: Support your paper with at least 3 academic resources from the Capella library. You must use proper APA (6th edition) style to list your references. Refer to the Capella Online Writing Center’s APA Style and Format module for more information.
· Length of paper: The body of the paper must be 4–5 full pages, not including the references list, appendices, or the title page.
· Written communication: Develop accurate written communication and thoughts that convey the overall goals of the project and do not detract from the overall message. Your paper should demonstrate graduate-level writing skills and should be free of errors that detract from the overall message.
· Formatting: Use APA (6th edition) formatting, including correct in-text citations, proper punctuation, double-spacing throughout, proper headings and subheadings, no skipped lines before headings and subheadings, proper paragraph and block indentation, no bolding, one-inch margins all around, and no bullets. Refer to the APA Style and Format module for more information.
· Font and font size: Times New Roman, 12 point.