DNA Analysis via Gel Electrophoresis
Introduction: Gel electrophoresis is an important analytical technique in the fields of chemistry and biochemistry. In this virtual experiment, we will explore the process of using gel electrophoresis to analyze DNA samples.
1) What is gel electrophoresis?
2) What is the purpose of using an electrical current in this procedure?
3) What are the five basic steps to running a gel?
4) Explain how the gel is made.
5) Explain how the gel electrophoresis apparatus is assembled.
6) Explain what it means to “stain” a gel.
7) Explain how the stained gel is analyzed.
8) Next, conduct a brief internet search to identify at least two real world applications of gel electrophoresis. Explain these applications in at least one well-developed paragraph each. Include your references.