I’m studying for my History class and need an explanation.
Chapter 20 Define the following:
Non-Violent Direct Action
Brown v. Board of Education, Topeka Ks. (1954)
CORE, SNCC, NAACP, MFDP, SCLC
Lynching of Emmett Till 
Montgomery Bus Boycott 
Little Rock 9 
Sit In Movement [1960/61]
Freedom Rides [1960s]
March in Selma
Fannie Lou Hamer
Civil Rights Act
Voting Rights Act
Civil Rights Act of 1957
Henry David Thoreau & Civil Disobedience
Black Panther Party for Self Defense
Huey P. Newton
Maulana Karenga & Kwanzaa
- What are “Civil Rights?” [use an encyclopedia or dictionary]
- Explain the strategy of “Non-Violent Direct Action”. [511-513]
- What was the role of the boycott in the Montgomery Movement? Rosa Parks, Martin Luther King? [513-17] Also, what was the end result of using the boycott strategy?
- How did James Lawson prepare black college students to engage the civil rights movement? [518-19]
- What was the “Lunch counter sit in?” Explain if it was successful?
- What was the intent of King’s Letter from Birmingham Jail?
- What happened during “Freedom Summer” as related to the Civil Rights Movement? [524-28]
- Why was media “press coverage” important to the movement?
- CH 21. What was Malcolm X’s message and why were so many blacks in northern urban settings attracted to his message?
- Explain Black Power as articulated by the Black Panther Party for Self Defense. [Stokely Carmichael, Huey Newton, Bobby Seale, etc.]