I’m stuck on a Health & Medical question and need an explanation.
Introduction and Alignment
In this activity, you will explore project management (PM) and its applications in Health Information Technology (HIT). You will look at the key processes in PM and also how many projects within the healthcare organization are managed using portfolio management. Finally, you will review why some HIT projects fail.
Upon completion of this assignment, you should be able to:
- Demonstrate the five key processes of project management.
- Textbook: Information Systems for Healthcare Management
- OCLS Library
Using a portfolio management approach has many benefits to an organization. First, knowing which projects are in the works will help prioritize tasks and avoid potential conflicts. It also helps to identify stakeholders that may be impacted, who wouldn’t have been identified if the project stayed at the department level. Giving the Project Management Office (PMO) centralized oversight of all HIT projects can help the organization in prioritizing projects, ensuring that projects are on track with objectives, and making sure that projects fall in line with the organization’s overarching goals.
- In your textbook, Information Systems for Healthcare Management, read Chapter 11, “HIT Project Portfolio Management.”
- In your journal for this week, please provide answers to the following:
- Briefly describe an example of an HIT system implementation that was conducted without using a portfolio management approach. This can be from your organization, the textbook, or a case study you find on your own.
- Provide a summary of the lessons learned.
- If needed, you can use the OCLS Library: http://www2.indwes.edu/ocls/ .
- This assignment should be at most two paragraphs in length.
- To submit your journal entry, follow these steps:
- Enter the name of your journal.
- Compose your journal entry
- Title your entry, “Workshop 5, Chapter 11 Portfolio Management Lessons Learned.”
- Review the following grading rubric to ensure that your journal entry fulfills the requirements.
- Submit your entry to the dropbox by the end of the workshop.